Sunday, October 29, 2017

Daydream
My mother sits in the kitchen.
Waiting for the soup to boil over
She was never a lady, growing up on a farm with her uncle and aunt
She hated the thoughts of fancy gowns and such
She only lived in this life for me
A life of ballgowns and sitting and makeup and money.
Over and over again
I stand up and walk out the door
I see a yellow road of brick
Wait a golden road of brick
Sweet little people dance and sing in the hills
I must have fallen asleep for this is the land my mother always spoke of
I follow the road finding a man of tin holding the hand of a small tin child
I smile at the tin child
The child hides shyly behind the tin man’s legs
The child then bounces out to greet a teenage looking scarecrow
The scarecrow sits glaring at all of the things
Wearing black lipstick over her lips and her hair in two separate braids
I laugh
Now I know I am dreaming
I suddenly fall to the floor feeling the sharp pain of two paws digging their claws into my arm
I get up and see a almost newborn lion cub sitting there
I stick my hand out for it to sniff
The baby lion nuzzles my hand as I stroke it’s fuzzy head
It bites my finger
“OW!” I sit  up to see my mom looking at me nervously. “You alright? You were out for a bit”

“I am fine mom. Thanks”I smile as I tackle  her in a hug “Honey where did you get those claw marks from?!” I laugh “It’s a long story”

No comments:

Post a Comment