Sunday, October 29, 2017

Indépendance
The little baby looks at me. I know I love that little squirmy thing. I quietly promise her that I would always protect her. She looks up at me. I give her my finger. Her light olive hand clings to just my finger. She is so delicate yet I know will be so strong. Her brown eyes look at me. Full of love.
I’m not alone” I think to myself “Veronica, Valerie?
I laugh “Maybe dad will get away with naming you tank
The baby smiles at me. My heart melts and I know that no matter what I will always love this little baby. In some ways she might be the only thing that I know I can always count on.
This baby will always be part of me. Connected to me forever.
The infant doses off. I refuse to leave her side. I reach in to pick her up so that I can hold her. My mom notices and gently pushes my arms away.
“Be careful! You might drop he!r”
I nod as she picks up the baby and motions for me to sit down on our striped couch. Though all of the stripes are the same color every other one is kinda fluffy.
My mom puts the infant into my arms.
“I like Veronica”
My mom shakes her head.
My dad snorts a bit. “I liked tank but your mom refused.”
I laugh as my mom glares at him.
I think the person who made the term ‘mama bear’ met my mom” I think to myself.
“Is the baby ever gonna have hair?”
My mom laughs.
“She is gonna have a lot of hair.” she pauses “Valentina”

I love her already. I repeat the name just to get familiar. Beautiful just like the baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment